Installation of retaining walls are so popular. It can be used for a personal or professional purpose. The retaining wall can increase the decoration of the yard as well as controlling the water flow. So, installing these walls are necessary for the yards or gardens. Saturation and the minimization of soil erosion will be possible if you use the walls in your garden. Both the decorative purpose and environmental benefits are available for installing the walls.
Specifics for building
There are several techniques for the steeper slopes such as the wood retaining walls, concrete blocks, loose rock areas, rock retaining walls or terracing. If you are going to choose wood, then keep in mind to use it with preservatives as there is chance of rotting. The selectivity is depended on the size and place of the garden where the walls will be structured. The walls should maintain a controllable height and weight for safety purpose. If the soil is saturated the structure should be modified. Redesigning of the wall is possible but it can be difficult. So proper planning before installing the walls is a must needed thing.
What should be the vital factors for retaining walls
When you are managing the landscape of a customer, be serious about some issues as there are a lot of things to maintain. Some of these are as follows:
- Try to know the details about slopes. If the slope is larger than the ratio 3:1 then try to consult with an engineer. If the ratio is lower than that, it will need some special stabilization methods and
- Frosting and freezing capacity of the wall should e known. Otherwise, the managing capacity of the soil and wall will be mismatched.
- Checking the drainage is a vital issue. Drainage capacity is not same for all type of soil. Try to identify the soil type and take necessary actions.
- Be attentive about the existing structure of selected area. It can change the management and maintenance for the retaining walls.
- Some natural calamities can occur at any time. So, the design and method should be rearranged if there is any chance of this hazardous situation.
Different types of retaining walls
Gravity walls– this type of wall hold earth by managing the weight of its materials. They can be the stack of stones or rocks, or the pavers. One negative thing is, it can fall vert easily so that short slopes less than 3 feet is ideal for using it.
Anchored walls– these walls are so strong and able to make a combination with any other types. An anchor will wrap beside the wall and the base is deeper into the hilly area. It can give proper stabilization.
Piling walls– long piles and poles are used in this section. You can easily place the piles deeper into the soil. The pilings can be made of metal or other strong instruments. It has a good capacity of holding the accurate position of soil.